Monday, June 2, 2014

Questions

This week, as I was studying, I came across a study tip in Preach My Gospel. It suggested that we start writing down questions we are asked and find answers to them in our studies. I got super excited about this suggestion for some reason, and decided I would try it out. As we talked with people on the street, in lessons, whatever setting, I would make a mental note of their question(s) and write it down later. As I gathered all my questions together, I came to the conclusion that 90% of the questions stem from the same basic question: "Why do bad things happen?" We get this question so often, that I can almost predict our whole conversations. It's a valid question, and one that has taken me years to understand. Actually, I still don't completely understand. But as I tried to study for the answer, I realised something. If only good things happened to good people, and only bad tings happened to bad people, it would be too easy to be good. This life would no longer help us grow and improve and build character. Our trials are simply opportunities for us to prove our courage, strength, valour, and humility. Maybe you all knew that, but for some reason, this thought just seemed to click with me this week. A friend e-mailed me a quote from Elder Nelson that says, "With celestial sight, trials impossible to overcome become possible to endure." I love the perspective that the gospel offers.

I mentioned an investigator a few weeks ago that's really starting to gain this celestial sight. He's the one that was not liking the thought of giving up his tea and pretty much kicked us out. Fortunately, he allowed us to come back this week four times. Oh man, he's legit. Our first time seeing him this week, before we could even follow up on how he was doing with tea, smoking, and the word of wisdom in general, he solemnly declared that he'd given up tea. I accidently yipped for joy. It was somewhat humorous because he said it in such a serious manner, but I could tell he was proud of himself. He said that he'd prayed and knew it was what God wanted, though he didn't quite understand why. "But why not experiment?" he'd said. But we are stoked. This man is the most humble person on the planet. Though his progression has been slower than most, it has been perfect for him. I've loved being apart of it.

Funny: We talked to a woman at a bus stop the other day. She didn't really want to talk to us, but when she realised we had accents, she offered us her grandsons for marriage, saying "You look like you're from Hollywood! Look at those teeth! My grandson could use a woman." Self esteem shoots to a new high.

Change of scenery: I got to serve in Merthyr for a day this week. It has loads of church history there, so it's super neat to serve where great missionaries of the early church have served. The accent there is super wonky.

Sad: My heart broke over Madie's e-mail last week.

I love you all! This gospel is perfect. Jesus loves you.

Sister Katie Kuykendall
I got to sit on a tractor! Yay. This is my favourite spot because it's where the dog can't get me. And don't worry, I didn't operate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment