Monday, August 11, 2014

Laid up

Fam and friends,

It's so weird to hear about the first batch of sisters coming home already. Time has flown, but I'm so grateful for the time I have left; however, this week was a bit different than others. Last Sunday after church, our Latvian investigator invited us over for a meal. We had some cool Latvian salad thing with a special sauce and some really good meat stuff. Lastly, we had an absolutely heavenly kiwi cake thing. All was well as we biked home and slept for the night. Monday, we woke up feeling great. We e-mailed, played sports at the chapel, etc. As we got into the evening, Sister W started feeling funny. We went out to work anyway. After about 20 minutes of being outside she looked absolutely dreadful, so we got her home and she promptly began puking her guts out. A few hours later, I began to be sick as well and thus began our night of absolutely no sleep. Being sick on a mission is the worst. There is no Facebook, Insta, The Notebook, anything to keep you entertained. Sister and I took turns staring at each other, the wall, and the toilet seat.  Okay, the point of my graphic story starts now. We were really nervous that being sick from Monday evening to Thursday afternoon would really slow down all the exciting things happening here. We had been working hard to keep everything up, and we didn't want it all to fall apart just because of some food poisoning or virus or whatever it was. We had people we needed to see and teach and we had meetings we needed to attend. As our health slowly went up at the end of the week, we began working as normal. We had done nothing up until then, and we determined to try out hardest to teach just as much as we have the other weeks. And you wanna hear something great? We miraculously were still able to see all the people we needed and wanted and even a few more. We were able to attend all the meetings we needed to. We worked hard and had a good time. We actually accomplished more in those few days we had to work than we usually do in other weeks where we have all seven days. 

All this helped me remember that this isn't my work at all. I think for a while, I thought that all the exciting things happening were because of us, that we were the reason for all the success in the area. But at the end of this week, we found that we didn't really do anything. The Lord has carried our area and will continue to do so in the future. 

Church was the crowning event of the week with six of our friends showing up to church. I love the people here. One of our investigators from Zimbabwe came. He'd told us a few days before that he wouldn't be able to come. We were really bummed, but got over it and forgot about it. When we walked into church we see him sitting in the middle of the chapel in a nice suit waiting for the service. I go and sit with him and try to hold in all my excitement as I ask why he decided to come. He said that he'd wanted to surprise us. I smiled the whole meeting. Life is gooood. 

Sorry for the lack of details (and pictures) but I'll be better next week. Do I say that every week? I'm sorry if I do. But oh man, this is all so true. It's so simple. Even those people who attack my beliefs and testimony help to cement it further into my heart. It crazy to think my time is running out. People remind me all the time. I think from now on I'm going to lie and say I've only been out for a few months. Also, by next Monday I'll have a new companion! The adventures of Sister W and Sister Kuykendall have come to a close. I'm going to miss her loads, and to be quite honest I'm super nervous. But all is well. Happy day. Talk to you next time. 

Sister Kuykendall

No comments:

Post a Comment