Monday, November 24, 2014

Sudden bursts of courage

I absolutely love reading the e-mails of people just coming out on the mission. In a way, I envy them, that they can be in that stage now. But I do remember how hard it was just coming out and feeling like I had no idea what was going on... I guess because I actually didn't. I don't want to get super deep, but I do remember that at the beginning of my mission, my trainer would encourage me to have "sudden bursts of courage." She probably doesn't remember saying it now, but I remember being terrified like nearly every second of the day, but the moment I had to do something hard, I'd somehow work up a bunch of courage and bravery, and all of a sudden I'd find myself talking to the guy with a big pit bull and loads of tattoos. I think it was a repetition of those brave moments that kept me going at the beginning, and now I feel like I've had no problems with fear for a long time. However, a few days ago, I had a somewhat emotionally exhausting day. I felt like I was completely at the end of my rope and couldn't do anything more. Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but that's what it felt like at the time. I remembered my first transfer on the mission, walking up to everyone and anyone. I really have no idea how I did. On this day, that same phrase came into my mind. I could hear my trainer saying, "Just a sudden burst of courage is all it takes to change a life!" So I did it. I saw a man about 40 feet ahead of us. He had a huge ugly dog, and I was honestly terrified of it. But all of a sudden, I felt my feet running towards him. I yelled to him, he stopped (probably because he thought I was insane and needed help), and we ended up having an amazing lesson with him. I was able to continue to share my testimony throughout the day. #blessed #thankful #devildogs  

Grateful: Family, Book of Mormon, China, running, soccer, music, technology, instagram, hashtags, kind leaders, friends, violin, snow, baptism, the Holy Ghost, cameras, Cafe Rio, members, investigators, Coventry, Wales, autumn, advent calendars, the Atonement, warm blankets, journals, handwritten letters, Warwick University, recent converts, missionary friends, and spontaneous adventures.

I love you! 

Sister Kuykendall

No comments:

Post a Comment